Log Entry 150321.141

It seems I have two days until my hearing and then I'll be thrown out of the Academy. It's longer than I expected though. Is somebody rooting for me? Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the Dean was cutting me as much slack as he could. Not because he likes me or anything, but because of the possible injustice here. He'll have met Lizzy, I don't doubt. Even if she didn't pass in front of his desk as a naughty student, he must have met her, spoken with her, interacted with her. Anyone with half an ounce of humanity in them can feel her passion and her ... wackiness! That's the word I'm looking for! Wacky. Lizzy is wacky, beyond a shadow of a doubt.
So how do I set about proving that Lizzy is sentient, especially in her absence? I certainly have no intention of producing her. How did Data do it, I wonder?
In that moment I realised that I needed to research Data's case, and Lal's for that matter, but did I have access to them? Probably not, but ...
I toyed with T'Roc's datapad in my hands, stroking its smooth edges with my fingers. Is that why she had left it, so that I could access Starfleet records using her codes? Instantly I knew how stupid that was. T'Roc would never be so irresponsible as to give access to all of Starfleet's confidential records to a curious, young cadet. Yet that very thought filled me with confidence.
Before then I was dubious about awakening the pad. I didn't want to fire it up and intrude into T'Roc's private affairs. Nor did I trust myself not to sneak a peek at a few people's personnel files, (what did mine say, I wonder?) but T'Roc wouldn't be that naive. She just wouldn't do that. So, I'd either fire it up and see nothing, or I'd fire it up and see exactly what T'Roc wanted me to see. At least that's what I had convinced myself of.
I pressed the activation key and the screen illuminated. Hey presto! Two folders were open, and I found that I was relieved that I had access to nothing else. I really don't think I'm strong enough to resist that sort of temptation. It was still a huge risk on T'Roc's part, though, but once again, it proved how much she believed in her crew.
The first folder was codenamed 'The Measure of a Man' and contained all of the reports and log entries by those involved during the period in which Data was ordered to report to Starbase 173 for disassembly, through to the conclusion of the enquiry. The second folder, 'The Offspring' comprised the reports and log entries surrounding Lal's creation and development right through to her 'death'.
It was a lot of information that would take hours to read and I didn't doubt that T'Roc would be back for her datapad sooner rather than later, so I sent them all to—not my datapad. I wasn't sure how secure that would be now, so I sent them to Lizzy's. I could then contact Peter and ask him to ask Lizzy for her access code. So that's what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment