Log Entry 121029.33

I thought I'd finally managed to catch up with Commander Jarrod this afternoon, but I was only half-right. Having missed her at least four times during the day, I suddenly saw her come out of the turbolift outside Engineering. It wasn't quite the same Jarrod that I know though.
My Commander Jarrod is a steely faced woman in her mid-fifties, and by that, I'm not just referring to her appearance. Her nature is as firm and resolute as steel to match her silver hair and grey eyes. She is a professional woman who takes her work so seriously it wouldn't surprise me if she was born inside a Starfleet uniform. So you can imagine my surprise when she came out of the turbolift laughing and smiling, really smiling!
Beside her was a tall man of about the same age, maybe a tad older. He had his arm around Jarrod's waist and was... well, there's no other word for it. He was cuddling her, and she was loving it.
As soon as she saw me though, the old Commander Jarrod returned and the façade of a senior officer with it, affixing itself firmly in place. The man seemed to understand. He immediately withdrew his arm from her and crossed his hands behind his back. It had a military bearing about it, and I wondered if he was or had been Starfleet too.
Jarrod could see I was heading for her. She snapped her back rigid as I approached.
"Yes Crewman?" she enquired.
"Sorry to bother you sir, but would you be able to spare me a moment later please?" I asked. My eyes couldn't help wandering over to the man who was secreting a smile.
"Er..." she faltered. "Tomorrow. Yes... tomorrow. In my office... tomorrow morning."
"Thank you Commander," I said and was about to leave when the most odd thing happened.
"Aren't you going to introduce me, Catherine?" asked the man.
Catherine? Who the bloody hell was Catherine? was the first thought that went through my head and then I realised he meant Jarrod! Up until that moment, it had never occurred to me that Jarrod would have a first name. She was just Jarrod, Commander Jarrod, but now she was Catherine!
Jarrod had the look about her that said she didn't want to introduce me, but the man had a slightly mischievous look about him.
"No Richard," she said quite firmly. "Not really."
"Well that's just plain rude," he grinned and held out his hand to me.
"Richard Jarrod. Professor of Cybernetic Engineering at the Daystrom Institute."
"Oh!" I exclaimed. Another Jarrod.
"Yes, also husband and junior officer to—" but a sharp jab in the ribs from Jarrod silenced him. He laughed. I, on the other hand, was reeling in shock. Not only did Jarrod have a first name, she had a husband! Did she have children too, I wondered.
"Thank you Richard!" she glared at him.
He grinned lovingly at her.
"Crewman Jenny Terran, third class," I said, taking his hand and shaking it.
"Aaaah!" he exclaimed as if the meaning of life had been revealed to him.
It seemed to be more than enough for Jarrod who hastily bundled him back into the turbolift. He was laughing and she was trying to look angry at him but it was obvious that she adored him.
Well I never. Steely Commander Jarrod, Head of Maintenance is a fully-fledged woman complete with a proper name and a husband to boot.
Naturally, it piqued my curiosity, so the first chance I got, I checked out Richard Jarrod. Lo and behold, he is actually the Head of the Cybernetic Engineering department at the Daystrom Institute. Before that, he was a Starfleet marine and having nosed a little further, I found out he was a very good marine who retired from service after suffering serious injuries in a battle with the Borg.
I must go and tell Luke!

No comments:

Post a Comment