Log Entry 121025.32

Games Night was in my quarters tonight, but that was because everybody wanted to meet Beastie. She's a bit of a novelty and she adored all the fuss. Luke also joined us making our number nine. An odd number but that doesn't matter, he fitted into the group well and was soon chatting away with everybody. He's a very perceptive person though and he could tell that something was bothering me. He took me onto one side and quietly asked.
"I just can't get it out of my head!" I said. "Anybody else... what does that mean? It makes it sound as though I'm different or something."
"Are you?"
"No! Don't be daft. I'm just plain old Jenny Terran. Abandoned baby that never amounted to much," and as I said it, I remembered my conversation with Commander Jarrod and the datapad that she had given me. Immediately, I fetched it and switched it on.
"What's that?" asked Luke.
"Commander Jarrod gave it to me. It's just the logs of Captain Kirk's first five year mission."
"But why would Jarrod do that?"
"I don't know," I said as the pad fired up. "Oh!"
"What is it?"
"There are more files here. She's sent me more stuff."
Luke took the pad from me and studied the directory.
"Jenny. These are academy files."
"What do you mean?"
"Well... this one is compulsory reading material at Starfleet Academy, as is this one... and this one. This isn't compulsory, but it is an Academy file. Jenny, what's going on?"
So I told Luke about my meeting with Commander Jarrod.
"Why's Jarrod so interested in you?" he asked.
I shrugged. I had no idea.
"I'll ask her."
"You can't do that!" exclaimed Luke.
"Yes, I can. What's the worst that can happen?"
Luke grinned broadly at me.
"What?" I asked.
"You really are wonderful, Jenny. I can see why Jarrod would have plans for you... if she does of course."
"Hey, what are you two up to?" shouted Al and we laughed and joined in with the games again. Jarrod and the datapad were soon forgotten and the conversation turned to other things like the USS Earhart. Apparently, she is being put back into service under her existing name. What a legacy that ship has to carry!

No comments:

Post a Comment